My prayers and thoughts go out to those in Japan and surrounding areas. To say they have gone through a lot would be an understatement. Hundreds of thousands of people’s lives have been permanently changed and it didn’t take more than a few minutes. Lives have been lost, homes destroyed, and families separated. To watch all of this go down the way it did, it made me think. What guarantees us that we will have the next day with family, friends, and loved ones? We must never take a day for granted as nothing is promised to us. Hug the ones you love, and spend every last minute you can with your friends!
This past Friday turned out to be quite a day out of the norm. I was woken up by a buzzing phone at 6 am. 8 missed calls and plenty of text messages. My parents finally got ahold of me with a warning of “It is time for you to evacuate your house.” We were being evacuated from our area due to threats of an oncoming Tsunami. With much hesitation, we got out of the house and headed out for high ground. We stood with several other onlookers, awaiting the arrival of a large tsunami wave. The events that took place the day before and 5,000 miles away were able to change the course of the day here on the coast of Northern California. Luckily, the wave turned out to be nothing more than an average wave and life went on as normal. What if that wave would have been worse? What if I wasn’t able to write this blog from my house? Either way, life would have to gone on.
This upcoming week is the investigator academy held in San Francisco. We will learn how to research, investigate, and document cases of human trafficking so that we can become smart activist. The knowledge gained from this academy will be useful for us as we look to fight slavery around the world. We will be up in SF all week and it will be a great chance to meet others looking to gain the same knowledge.
Not For Sale Campaign
- Bay Area: We are hosting with @GOOD_SF a screening of “Surviving International Boulevard” on Feb 21st. Register now: bit.ly/2jcFnON 6 days ago
- Congrats @lathamwatkins! You've always been a rockstar in this movement. Keep up the excellent work! twitter.com/CDLB/status/83… 1 week ago
- RT @CNNFreedom: "Freedom means creating opportunity for those who have been enslaved," says @Mark_Wexler, co-founder of @NFS #MyFreedomDay… 2 weeks ago
- Our friend @aloeblacc also talking about our newest initiative @zshoesorganic with @CNN. https://t.co/lhdNRq7qOL 3 weeks ago
- .@CNN interview with @DaveBatstone about Not For Sale and our newest initiative @zshoesorganic. https://t.co/eZma70UU4K 3 weeks ago